Bomb suspect served prison time for arson


MISSOULA, Mont. - A Missoula man in custody for allegedly making a pipe bomb has served prison time for setting fire to a police car in 2007, according to court documents.

We're digging deeper into the past of Andrew Ibey, arrested on Tuesday for robbery and possession of an explosive device.

Police got a call around 3 p.m. on Tuesday reporting what appeared to be a bomb inside the garage of a house, located on the 900-block of Spartan Drive in Missoula, near Splash Montana.

When officers arrived, they shut down the neighborhood, evacuated the surrounding houses, brought in the bomb squad, and used a robot to pull the object from the garage.

We were there as officers then determined it was a pipe bomb and deactivated it.

After a sweep of the area turned up no more bombs, officers allowed neighbors to return home. According to the Missoula County jail roster, later that day, officers arrested a 27-year-old suspect named Andrew Ibey.

According to court documents from Clark County Superior Court in Washington, Ibey has already served prison time for setting fire to a Washington police officer's patrol car, and Ibey has a lengthy criminal history in the Clark County court system.

His trouble starts in March of 2007 with an arrest for possession of methamphetamine, reckless driving and for possessing a dangerous weapon -- brass knuckles.

According to court documents, Ibey was again booked that November for arson and malicious mischief.

Narrative in the booking document shows that Ibey reportedly got upset with the officer for the way the officer talked to Ibey's mom.

Ibey told police he went to the officer's home, high on meth, and set fire to the officer's patrol car.

That document says neighbors had to use garden hoses to keep the fire from spreading to the man's home.

After that, Ibey reportedly fled to Missoula. Missoula County court documents show he was picked up for assault, before being extradited back to Washington.

The document says witnesses told police Ibey laughed and bragged to his friends about setting fire to the police car. Ibey told investigators a different story, saying that he was sorry for what he'd done, that he actually knew and liked the officer he targeted.

Ibey blamed his actions on the meth.

He's currently being held in the Missoula County Detention Center.